— Over twenty years of success in internationally focused social change ventures —
— bringing state of the art theory to best of class practice —
Record of decisive leadership in organizations with international scope. Noted for sound, practical management style centered on a strong history of successful team creation and retention. Known for ability to balance dedication to on-time project deliverables with long-term organizational vision. Results-proven ability to generate enthusiasm for ideas, create clear communication of mission internally and externally, and keep teams on task through to a “job well done”. Combines academic rigor with practical management. Values a practice informed by the best-known theory, and theory linked to best of class practice.
DR. RICHARD LEE KLOPP
INTERNATIONAL MANAGEMENT PROFESSIONAL
Fluent in English and French, written and spoken
Dual citizen, US and Canada – Grew up in Timbuktu, Mali West Africa
Third-Cultured Person (TCK)
Has lived in the United States, France, Canada, Mali and Ivory Coast
Currently lives in Broad Ripple, Indiana with his wife of 27 years.
Core Leadership Qualifications
Boards: Water for Good, Congo Education Partners, Twin Cities Ministries
Member: Association for Research on Nonprofit Organizations and Voluntary Action
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer Training, Licensed Private Pilot, Great Books Foundation Certified Leader Training, Developing Capable Young People – Train the Trainers, Certificate – French as Second Language from Laval University
SELECT LIFEWORK EXPERIENCE
my professional & academic background
A consultancy I pioneered to locate, leverage, and scale high impact social ventures. (US, Canada, Africa, France)
What follows is a sample of my engagements (click on titles to learn more):...
Providing strategic consultancy services to the 50-year-old network association of 5000 Muslim physicians and healthcare professionals in the United States, including strategic planning, organizational vision/mission renewal, leadership training of staff and board, new org structure & bylaws, and development & fundraising plan and planning for next level of performance. ...
Design, manufacture, and commercialization of high social impact renewable energy products for emerging markets. (Accra, Ghana)
- Provided strategic direction resulting in launch of Point Innovate in Ghana.
- Strategy, leadership and program assessment and advisory.
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER – 2014 TO PRESENT CHIEF OPERATIONS OFFICER - 2010 TO 2014 SENIOR CONSULTANT (DEVELOPMENT & FUNDRAISING) - 2009 TO 2010
- Incubated the Central African Republic’s first well drilling business. Brokered / Managed over $US 20 M of water projects in CAR.
- Built / Managed the country’s only enterprise-based water sustainability business, servicing 1000 water points at over 90% pump functionality rates.
Matt Damon’s water charity created to provide funding to water solution provider NGOs in Africa. (Zionsville, Indiana)
- $4.75 Million raised, $3 Million in partner matches, for a total of $7.75 Million in water projects in Africa.
- Partnered for roughly 500 water projects in 7 different African countries benefiting hundreds of thousands of people.
- Oversaw the ($1.75 Million) Millennium Village in Toya, Mali with Earth Institute’s Millennium Promise.
A Canadian organization focused on African development through the creation of a fair-trade medicinal plant industry. (Montréal, Qc.)
- Member of the BDA Foundation board that included the Rt. Hon. Joe Clark, former Prime Minister of Canada, and M. Réjean Frenette, Canadian Ambassador to the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Won first prize at the SME Innovation Competition for the BDA Foundation’s “Triple Bottom Line” innovative business model.
- Launched the first-ever African medicinal plant agri-business training program in partnership with the Institut Supérieure Agro-Vétérinaire and the University of Kinshasa in DRC.
- Teaching courses for NGO managers seeking graduate degrees from literally around the world, at sites located in Italy, France, Chile, South Africa, Kenya, Ghana, Canada, United States, and Rwanda.
- Mentor international student’s thesis projects on various global NGO challenges
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR, LAKE INSTITUTE VISITING FACULTY, THE SCHOOL OF PHILANTHROPY ADJUNCT FACULTY, SCHOOL OF PUBLIC AND ENVIRONMENTAL AFFAIRS, INDIANA UNIVERSITY PURDUE UNIVERSITY AT INDIANAPOLIS (IUPUI)
- Earned PhD in Philanthropic Studies.
- Oversight of strategic plan for the Institute and the US$ 8 Million endowment.
- Manager of Institute’s Board of Advisors, National Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship, and Indiana University Lake Scholar program. Speak and lead training sessions on philanthropy nationally and internationally.
- Quoted in the Wall Street Journal, Cairn’s Chicago Business, and Albany NY Business Weekly.
PhD– Philanthropic Studies, Lilly Family School of Philanthropy at Indiana University
MA (Honours) – Theology and Religious Sciences, Laval University, Québec City, Québec, Canada
(“Prix du Séminaire de Québec which is the “Best MA of the year” prize on the philosophy of Charles Taylor and humanitarianism)
- Nonprofit Management, Leadership, and Ethics at Indiana University
– Nonprofit Management and Fundraising for NGOs, International Development Masters Program at Andrews University
– Fundraising, The Fundraising School, The Centre on Philanthropy at Indiana University
Kind words from clients
“I’ve had the good fortune of being the board president of a nonprofit which is the largest service delivery organization of its kind in the country in which it works. Before we hired Rich, my volunteer service was largely spent putting out the fires of one crisis after another. Rich not only assessed our problems correctly and (click for more)...
Doug Brennan Digital Sales Lead, US Retail - Microsoft Corporation Board President, Water for Good“For over a decade now I’ve watched Rich hone his skills by helping scores of nonprofits around the world. Rich’s ability to combine academic knowledge with practical organizational change plans is world class. If you and your leadership are not clear on what your next organizational step should be, I highly recommend Rich and the high impact (click for more)... Shariq A. Siddiqui JD, PhD: Executive Director, Association for Research on Nonprofit Organizations and Voluntary Action"Rich was instrumental in helping us build the Lake Institute, one of the vital parts of the Lilly School of Philanthropy at Indiana University. His ability to lead in high-level strategy while driving structural and programmatic changes was a welcome asset as we implemented broad scale changes that transitioned the Center on Philanthropy into a School. A (click for more)... Eugene R. Tempel Professor of Philanthropic Studies and Founding Dean Emeritus, Indiana University Lilly Family School of Philanthropy; President Emeritus, Indiana University Foundation